Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Concord Grape.

As my favorite wine, I always wondered about the Concord grape.  Who discovered the fruit? Where does it come from?  What does the actual grape look like and does it taste as sweet as the wine it produces?

I started looking around for information and found a brief history of the grape.  In 1849, Ephraim Wales Bull planted a new seed and produced the Concord grape from the wild grapevine Vitis Labrusca.  Where did he do all of this?  Well, in Concord, Massachusetts, of course.  This seems fitting, since I learned that this fruit is native to North America and is mostly grown in the northern regions of the country.  After planting and harvesting this grape, Ephraim worked to create a superior crop and in 1853his grapes won first place in the Boston Horticultural Society Exhibition.  I knew this grape was good but with awards to prove it, no one can deny the deliciousness of this fruit. 

Whether the Concord grape is consumed as a wine, juice, or jam, the sweetness of the large, purple skinned round grape satisfies any age group. Young children enjoy it in their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Adults enjoy it in the sweet dessert wine served after dinner.  This is the product of the Concord grape that fascinates me.  On a nice summer Sunday afternoon or cold winter’s night, I love relaxing and enjoying a glass of the "Clover Hill Winery Concord wine.  So my next question, how is this sweet wine made?


After looking around, I found some facts about the wine that surprised.  First, the Concord grape is not as sweet as you may think.  Instead, it contains more pectin and acid that many people find unfavorable in taste.  To help create a more desirable beverage, many producers will add sugar and water to help balance the taste with the acidity of the juice.  Once processing the grapes and bottling the drink, it must age for two years before being considered ready to drink.  While I knew that most wines get better with age, I never knew that this wine was one of them.  I guess when I buy my next bottle, I will start looking for a label with the year 2009 on it. 

To be honest, I have never had a bad bottle of Concord wine.  While I may be biased, as it is my favorite, I ask you to try it for yourself.  Knowing that this wine is native to America, I urge you to try a wine from the vines of our country.  When you do, let me know.  I’d love to hear your thoughts on this grape that has been harvested for over 160 years.  If you live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, try any winery near you and I can almost guarantee they make their own Concord wine. 

When you try this amazing, sweet beverage, be sure to toast to Ephraim Wales Bull for creating in the first place!

Random: Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance." - Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment